Friday, 26 June 2015

Evaluation of final TV advertsment

Fit for Purposes:
I do believe that my advert is fit for purposes in relation to the brief. The brief clearly states that we had to re-brand an existing chocolate. The advert had to last 30 seconds and we had to appeal to a new target audience as well as keeping the chocolates original target audience. We meet the brief, as our advert did last 30 seconds thus sticking to the brief. Our advert also appealed to a new target audience which were 16-24-year-old, as our advert took a style of a social media task, which 16-21-year-old like to get involves in which is shown in similar tasks such as the ALS ice bucket challenge. But our advert also kept the Cadbury Flake original target audience ( which is the middle-aged women) due to the fact that our advert is using a concept of a task which middle-aged people also like to get involved in, which again is shown in the ALS ice bucket challenge, as all ages took part in it. Also in out advert at 0:18 we did show an older women taking part in our #dontflakeit challenge, which then other older women watch will use personal identity to see themselves doing the challenge thus buying a flake to do the challenge for real.

Clarity of Communication
I and my partner produced a presentation, which we pitched to two of our teacher, in order to give them a detailed idea of what we wanted our advert to look like and how we were going to achieve all areas of our advert. After we had pitched our idea we were then asked questions about our idea, in order to clarify certain areas to our teacher, and it also allowed us to re-think certain aspects of our advert. I feel as if most of our idea were presented to our teachers very well. For example from 0:06 in our presentation I start to talk about our concept and where I got inspiration from. I feel as if I presented this very well as I was not asked any further questions on this area, and also I knew exactly what I had to say and I did so with confidence. But one issue we had with conveying out idea occurred when talking about when we were going to show our advert, in terms of timing. In our actual presentation, we only told our teachers the different channels we were going to put our advert on, which you can see at 13:00 . I know this was a weakness as in our feedback our teachers asked us questions relating to the time of when we were going to show our advert, meaning we did not say this in the first place.

Appropriateness to audience compared with original intentions
The new intended target audience I aimed my advert to was 16-23-year-old as it said in the brief. I feel as if I did do a good job in appealing to this target audience, due to the fact that I used social media for the audience to take part in the advert, due to the #dontflakeit. So because social media is mainly used by 16-23-year-old this worked very well. The use of the #dontflakeit connoted to the target audience that this is a new and fresh chocolate and that it should be tired by the younger generation. But when looking at the old advert it connoted to people that it was a chocolate only for middle-aged women due to the use of slow music and only women appearing in the adverts. Also when looking at my advert at 0:00 the start of the advert we see that the advert will be set in the Olympic park. Because the Olympic park is just 3 years old meaning it is a new area, my younger target audience can appeal to it as they have seen the Olympic park being built and watched what it has been used for. By setting the advert in the Olympic park it connotes that the advert is a new advert, that has been produced recently, thus making the chocolate seem new and fresh, which will appeal to the younger generation, as they will think it is a new chocolate that they need to taste. When looking at the older adverts for Cadbury Flake they are all set within a house of a blank screen, which connotes that the chocolate is not for a wider audience.

Effectiveness of techniques

Throughout my advert, I used many different types of technical language. First of all I made a camera style very home-made and in a style of a documentary with a hand-held camera. This is seen at 0:04 where you can clearly see that the camera work is very poor and shaky. I have done this so that my advert looks like I have just done out to asked people to take part in my flake challenge, and it all to be un-rehearsed. The made my final advert look very simple but exciting, as it will make the views want to take part in the challenge, as the advert has a very relaxed feel to it, allowing the viewers mess about, and feel relaxed when eating a flake and doing the challenge. When looking at my editing style I only used quick cuts. This can be seen throughout my whole video from 0:00 to 0:30. I have done this to match my camera style, and emphasising that my advert is in a style of a documentary and that, it is not supposed to be a technical advert, which uses fades and other editing techniques. By doing this, it again shows the viewers that our advert is again very simple and, that the main focus is the chocolate and the challenge we are setting you. In term of audio formats, I used a voice over at the end of my advert. This can be heard at 0:18 -0:30. I choose to use a voice-over at the end so that it allowed my viewers to not have to read, because due to personal experiences, I never really read writing at the end of an advert. So the voice over allowed me to inform the viewers on how to send in their videos, and were to read terms and conditions. Also, the voice over makes my advert a bit more exciting as I do not have any dialog previous to this. In terms of graphics, I have only used at 0:04 and at 0:18. I have chosen to use the graph at 0:04 so that the viewers knew the basic rule of the challenge, so that when they go ahead to watch the advert they know what the people are trying to do. This will make the advert clearer to them. I used the graphic at 0:18 which is #dontflakeit . I decided to put this in, to allow the viewers to be reminded of our advert and challenge. This makes the advert look like a globe challenge, and that many people will and are getting involved.

Effectiveness of content
My advert is filmed in a style of a documentary, whereby I as the presenter and my partner as the camera man, goes around different places to ask people if they want to take part in our #dontflakeit challenge, in order to get a chance to appear in our next advert. At 0:13 we see person taking part in our challenge, and as he is he laughs as he is doing so. This will engage the viewers as they will see that he person in the advert is having such a fun time taking part in our challenge, thus making them carry on watching, to see what happens next. Also at 0:18 we see other people that have sent in there videos of themselves taking part in our challenge. This will engage the audience as it will show them that people are actually doing our challenge, and it will making them carry on watching to see how well they do and also get tips of them, for when they do it themselves. Also from 0:00 till 0:05 we first get to see different shots of the Olympic park. This will engaged the viewers as the Olympic park is an exciting place to be, so they will want to carry on watching, as it will create excitement for them, to watch something being filmed in a local setting. My target audience are British people, so as the Olympic park is in London, British people will be more engaged into the advert as the advert is shot in a local areas, there most viewers have probably been to.

Effectiveness of conventions
Throughout my advert, I have used many conventions. First of all one main convention of an advert is it being about 30seconds long. I have kept to this as my advert is 30seconds long. I have done this being in my brief it stated that I needed to make my advert 30seconds long, and also I thought that it will be the right amount of time for the viewers to watch, without them getting bored. Also another convention for an advert, I used in my advert is the use of background music. I have used this the whole way through my advert from 0:00 till 0:30. I wanted to use music in my advert as I thought it will make my advert more exciting and make the challenge you see people taking part in more entertaining, thus making them stay watching the advert. I also only used instrumental music and not lyrical music, as I thought the lyrics will take the viewers attentions away from the actual main focus point of my advert which was the #dontflakeit competition.

Impact of work
I do feel as if my advert does have a positive message and will encourage the viewers to buy my chocolate. This is because I have used the concept of a social challenge that any person can get involved in, which can result in a prize. So because most people like to be part of a social activity, and like to win prizes, my advert is perfect in getting people to buy the chocolate, as this will lead to them having a chance of winning my challenge I have created. This is seen with other social challenge, such as the ALS ice bucket challenge, which went worldwide, thus increasing the awareness of the neurodegenerative disease ALS. I do think that my new target audience and also the old target audience can relate to my advert. This is because from 0:00 till 0:05 we see shots of the Olympic park. The Olympic park is a very well one setting and is known by everyone in London regardless of age, as being the home of the Olympic Games in 2012. So old people will relate to the advert as they will have either watched the Olympic Games or been to the Olympic park. This will then create excitement, which will result in the person stay watching the advert, thus increasing the chances of them taking part in our challenge. In term of the younger audience, they will relate to the advert as 0:06 - 0:18 we see a white boy an Asian boy and a black girl all take part in my challenge. They are all aged between 16-24 years of age. So viewer of similar age and race will relate to the advert due to personal identity, which will result in them wanting to take part in the challenge, which will mean they will need to buy a flake, thus increasing the sales for flake, which is an advert main objective.

Technical/ Aesthetic Qualities
I feel as if our filming and editing process was very successful. This is because we got all of our filming completed all within one day, thus giving us more time to edit. Also, our editing only took us 2 weeks to do. This is the reason for why I feel as if our filming and editing process was successful, as we did not spend long on each session. I don't feel as if I and my partner faced any real major problems when producing our advert. The only problem we faced was in our post production. Before we actually went out to film, I thought it would be a good idea to do a trial run to get used to camera movements and angles. In this bit, we did face difficulties in filming. We did not know how to film our advert as one single shot and how the camera should more while people are taking part in the challenge. To overcome this we just had to get advice from our teachers and had to keep on trying different movements to see what ones worked best. After about 5 practice run, we finally figured out the best way to film. In term of editing my advert the only real problem that we faced was deciding on what style advert to pick for our final advert. This is because I created 4 different types of adverts that all were based around the same concept. After they all were roughly made me and my partner had to decide on which one we wanted to carry on working with and which ones we should scrap. To decide this, we had to see which one reflected our message across more effectively and which on appealed to the target audience more effectively. This was a problem as it took up a lot of time, thus giving us less time to actually edit our final advert.
I think our advert worked very well. I do feel as if our concept was unique but also very simple. So keeping this in mind our location we used which was not simple, worked well with our simple idea. As it engaged the viewers to stay watching. Also the simple and casual clothes that people wore in my advert worked very well with my simple idea, as it showed that these are normal everyday people who reflect the viewers, making viewers want to take part in my advert also, due to personal identity.




No comments:

Post a Comment